What a year 2013 has been! There were places to go and people to meet. Along the way, there were many ups and some downs. Nevertheless, it’s been a great year. Here is a year in review….Alex Jackson style!
Here are five blog posts to recap this year:
1. I soared to new heights while attending the Abilities Expo in February. Attending the expo allowed me to explore the latest developments in assistive technology ranging from computer aides to vehicle modifications.
2. Houston, we have a problem! Although I had wheelchair issues while in Houston, Texas, it was one of the most exciting trips to boost my independence. Being away from home without my parents gave me a chance to try out attendant care services.
3. Being hospitalized in late August was one of lowest points this year. The amputation of my foot was a major setback. However, removing the infection in my foot and leg has definitely improved my overall health.
4. It was hard to keep me down for long! Throughout October and November, it felt like I was on a media circuit. I promoted the Charleston James Island Connector Run and was the spokesperson in the Public Service Announcement.
Those 15 minutes of fame led to being interviewed by Quintin Washington on Quintin’s Close-ups. I also had an opportunity to go to the ABC News 4 Studio and watch a live broadcast. After the broadcast, I had a chance to be the anchorman and practiced reading from the teleprompter.
5. The Switzerland video about breaking the mold shows that we are all different, but we have something to contribute to society. The film director does a great job to help change how people with disabilities are perceived.
I’m excited to see what will happen in 2014! I hope you’ll continue to join me for the ride on Tuesday Talk With Alex.
Happy New Year!